If you’re considering new legal practice management software this year, there has never been a better time to consider a move to the cloud. Microsoft will stop supporting Windows Server 2008 (and R2) and issuing security updates for it from 14-1-20, this will of course affect the many law firms currently relying on the technology.
With a move to the cloud, law firms may never need to buy a server again.
An unsupported, outdated IT infrastructure is easy prey for cyber criminals. Staying with Windows Server 2008 without support or security updates from Microsoft is unwise particularly in this day and age with the ever-increasing and very real threat of cybercrime for law firms.
An upgrade to Windows Server 2019 is an option for firms happy to continue managing their own in-house server set up but a move to the cloud could be a more sensible option for some law firms.
Select Legal Systems Limited, authors of LAWFUSION a leading practice management system for law firms offers both options:
– LAWFUSION as a traditional on-premise installation
– LAWFUSION Direct – Select’s ‘software-as-a-service’ cloud option.
Pay-as-you-go software on the cloud is the current computing trend across all business sectors, not just the legal profession, and it’s easy to see why with the many benefits the cloud offers. Even if you’re not using Windows Server 2008 – there are still lots of benefits for law firms to consider. Book a LAWFUSION demonstration now via our online form or call 01482 567601 during office hours to see how either option could benefit your law firm.
As LAWFUSION Direct users a law firm can look forward to:
- server maintenance taken care of by an ISO 27001 cerfitied software supplier at an ISO 270001 certified datacentre
- heightened security, high resilience, 99.9% up-time, improved disaster recovery
- as well as the full suite of LAWFUSION software you also get your fully integrated Microsoft Office and Exchange products hosted on the cloud as part of your monthly fee
- your software can either be hosted on the secure LAWFUSION cloud, or for larger firms we recommend your own private LAWFUSION cloud
- all your upgrades take place regularly, efficiently at the data centre with no disruption to your business
- no need for large up front capex expenditure – instead you get to spread your costs out with a monthly subscription per user
- easy for mobile workers to login securely when away from the office
Rather than continuing to invest and maintain your own in-house servers – moving to LAWFUSION Direct, which is hosted on the secure LAWFUSION cloud, is a viable option for many law firms. This means all your users will simply log into your practice management software (and also access your fully integrated Microsoft Office / Exchange) via a secure internet connection. The functionality of the software is exactly the same as it would be if you were using your own servers, even printing is taken care of without the need for an in-house server at all.
Here are few LAWFUSION links if you would like a little more background reading / videos:
- Select Legal Systems – celebrate 25 years delivering first class software to law firms
- A selection of case study videos
- A white paper style film entitled ‘Cloud vs On-premise – A Unique Decision For Every law Firm’
- A selection of written and filmed case studies are available here
- There is a wide range of feature-rich, time-saving software modules within LAWFUSION – check them out here
So with the end of Windows Server 2008 on the horizon, a move to the cloud could mean law firms never need to buy a server again.
If you would like to know more about what would be involved if you decided to move away from your in-house infrastructure, over to the robust cloud based solution – LAWFUSION Direct – and what the comprehensive suite of software has to offer – please call Team LAWFUSION today to discuss your needs and book your demonstration on 01482 567601. Alternatively our online ‘book a demo’ form is available here.